Burrow, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Burrow is near State Highway 66 fifteen miles southwest of Greenville in extreme west central Hunt County. The settlement, established in 1886 as a stop on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line (which began building into the area in 1880), was named for W. T. Burrow, a local landowner. By 1899 a post office had opened there; it served the community until 1923. In 1915 Burrow reported a population of sixty and had a church and a school. By the mid-1920s it reported a population of forty and three businesses. Burrow's population was reported as seventy-five from the mid-1940s through the mid-1960s, after which no population figures were available for the town.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Burrow, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/burrow-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Burrow
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034666
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hunt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.00734130°
  • Longitude: -96.29331360°