Bushdale, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Bushdale, near Farm Road 908 three miles northwest of Rockdale in southern Milam County, was supposedly named for the area vegetation. Its early settlers were of German descent. In 1903 Bushdale had a one-teacher school for fifty-seven students. The school, a business, and several scattered houses were reported at Bushdale in the 1940s. Its school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. There was no evidence of the community shown on the 1988 county highway map.

Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Germans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Bushdale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/bushdale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Bushdale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353406
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Milam County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.68325210°
  • Longitude: -97.04248710°