Buttercup (also called Doddville and Dodd's Store) was on Buttercup Creek just south of Cedar Park in southwest Williamson County. Its site now lies under a reservoir beside U.S. Highway 183. The community, situated on the old road from Bagdad to Austin, throve in the 1870s and 1880s. In 1878 Buttercup had a store, a church, a school, a gin, a mill, and two doctors. A post office was located there from 1880 to 1894, except for a two-year interruption (1882–83). The only extant population figure for Buttercup dates from 1892, when the community had forty inhabitants.