Byrds, TX


By: Rachel Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 1, 1994


Byrds is on a country road at the northern edge of Lake Brownwood in north central Brown County. The site was settled in 1870 and named for Martin H. Byrd, who by 1874 had opened a store there and who also served as postmaster when the community received a post office, called Byrd's Store, in 1877. By 1884 Byrd's Store, which shipped cattle, cotton, and pecans, had a population of seventy-five, a district school, Methodist and Baptist churches, a steam cotton gin, and steam grist and saw mills. By 1896 the post office name had been changed to Byrd's, and the population had fallen to fourteen. In 1914 Byrd's reported only one business, a general store. In 1925 the population was sixty-four. Sometime during the 1930s the Byrd's school was consolidated with the Williams school district, and by 1949 the population had fallen to twenty people, who supported one business. By 1957, when population was still reported at twenty, the post office had closed.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rachel Jenkins, “Byrds, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/byrds-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 1, 1994

Place
Byrds
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378079
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brown County
Associated Names

's Store

Mills Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.91348020°
  • Longitude: -99.04200070°