Byspot, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 29, 2018


Byspot was eighteen miles southwest of Coldspring in southwestern San Jacinto County. The post office, established in 1899, was called Teddy. About 1903, however, J. O. H. Bennett changed the community's name to Byspot, a name derived from spelling his wife Topsy's name backwards and adding a B. Bennett also owned and operated a tram railroad at Byspot, an indication that the area was once the site of logging operations. The railroad, which extended to Conroe, was taken over by the Delta Land and Timber Company in 1926. The post office had been discontinued in 1921, and the tram road was abandoned in 1931. The community did not appear on 1985 county highway maps or on United States Geological Survey place name lists.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Byspot, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/byspot-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 29, 2018

Place
Byspot
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Teddy