Cabell, TX


By: Stephen L. Hardin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cabell, four miles northeast of Richmond in Fort Bend County, was part of the original Oyster Creek settlement. An early landowner in the area was Dr. Matthew A. Moore, who in 1852 established a plantation there. An extension of the Missouri-Pacific line from Sugar Land made Cabell a shipping point for rice, cotton, and other products grown on surrounding farms. By 1936 the entire area had been absorbed by a state prison farm (see PRISON SYSTEM).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Stephen L. Hardin, “Cabell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cabell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cabell
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fort Bend County