Cabildo

By: Geoffrey Pivateau

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


In Spanish Texas the cabildo was the building that housed meetings of the ayuntamiento, or town council, though Spanish colonists in America generally used the term to refer to the council itself. Though colonists used the word ayuntamiento more frequently in the latter part of the Spanish era, the two terms were interchangeable.

Marc Simmons, Spanish Government in New Mexico (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1968).

Time Periods:

  • Spanish Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Geoffrey Pivateau, “Cabildo,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 26, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cabildo.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading