Cadiz, TX


By: Rebecca Leigh Kendall

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cadiz is on Farm Road 799 near La Para Creek twelve miles west of Beeville in western Bee County. In the early 1870s the community was known as Lapara (perhaps from la parral, Spanish for "thicket" or "tangle of vines"). By the late 1870s R. C. Eeds had opened a store, and Amos Barker was minister of the Lapara Baptist Church. Area children attended school at the Turner and McCollom homes. When a post office was established in 1892, the name of the community was changed to Cadiz. In 1914 the population was reported at fifty, but by the early 1930s it had decreased to twenty-five. In the late 1930s the community had two churches, a store, a gin, a three-teacher school, and a service station. The post office was discontinued in 1942, and mail for the community was routed through Beeville. The population of Cadiz was reported at fifteen from the late 1950s through 2000. Community life centered on the Cadiz Baptist Church.

Grace Bauer, Bee County Centennial, 1858–1958 (Bee County Centennial, 1958). Camp Ezell, Historical Story of Bee County, Texas (Beeville: Beeville Publishing, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rebecca Leigh Kendall, “Cadiz, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cadiz-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cadiz
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378082
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bee County
Associated Names

Lapara

Lebanon

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.42721910°
  • Longitude: -97.93944620°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2009