Caesar, TX


By: Grace Bauer

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Caesar is on Farm Road 798 eight miles northwest of Pettus in northern Bee County. It was originally called Wolfe's Neighborhood after Peter Wolfe, who settled in the area before 1876. The name was changed to Caesar in the early 1900s, when R. L. Peevy built the first store there and applied for a post office. He sent the postal authorities a list of potential names from his Bible; from this list the authorities chose Caesar. The post office was established in 1903 and was discontinued sometime after 1930. In 1914 the town had a church, a store, and a population of fifteen. Gas and oil were discovered in the area, but old-timers refused to sell any of the land to newcomers. By the late 1980s no residents or businesses were recorded there.

Grace Bauer, Bee County Centennial, 1858–1958 (Bee County Centennial, 1958). Camp Ezell, Historical Story of Bee County, Texas (Beeville: Beeville Publishing, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Grace Bauer, “Caesar, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caesar-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Caesar
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379489
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bee County
Associated Names

Wolfe's

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.65554250°
  • Longitude: -97.89833500°