Calallen, TX


By: Karen S. Parrish

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Calallen, on Interstate Highway 37 in extreme north central Nueces County, was once an independent town but is now part of Corpus Christi. It was named for Calvin Allen, who donated land for the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. A nearby Nueces River dam is named Calallen Dam. The Calallen community received a post office in 1908 with Ira D. Magee as the first postmaster. The post office was discontinued sometime after 1960. In 1914 the town had 150 residents and nine businesses. Its population dwindled to twenty-five by 1925 but reached 100 in 1939; it was 270 by 1965. By 1966 Corpus Christi had annexed Calallen.

Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen S. Parrish, “Calallen, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calallen-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Calallen
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1331858
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nueces County
Associated Names

Calvin City

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 27.86752210°
  • Longitude: -97.62305080°