Calf Creek, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Calf Creek is on Farm Road 1311 twelve miles southwest of Brady in southwestern McCulloch County. It has had three names and three locations. The first site was two miles south of the present community and was known as Deland, named for a family who moved to the area from Kansas in 1874. The Calf Creek school had one teacher and twenty-three students in 1898. Baptist and Methodist churches were organized in 1903. The Deland post office operated from 1906 to 1909. The focus of the community shifted about a mile to the north, and the new post office, called Tucker in honor of local store owner Lum Tucker, operated from 1909 to 1915. Tucker had a cotton gin, a general store, a blacksmith, and a grocer in 1914. The community moved a mile north to its present location, and the post office changed its name to Calf Creek in 1915. A new school was built in 1921 and at times enrolled as many as 100 students. The community's population gradually declined, however, and the school district was consolidated with the Brady schools in 1949. The post office was discontinued in 1953. Calf Creek had fifty residents and two businesses in 1949; the population was twenty-three in 1990, when only a church and a cemetery appeared on county highway maps. The population remained the same in 2000.

T. Lindsay Baker, Ghost Towns of Texas (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1986). Jessie Laurie Barfoot, History of McCulloch County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; Vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Calf Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calf-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Calf Creek
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379493
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • McCulloch County
Associated Names

Deland

Tucker

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.97878350°
  • Longitude: -99.46895090°
Population Counts
People Year
23 2009