Calhoun, TX (Gregg County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994

Updated: September 5, 2019


Calhoun, among the earliest settlements in Gregg County, was probably founded in the 1850s and was located on or near Rabbit Creek in the southern portion of the county, near the site of the present western edge of Kilgore. Maps show a settlement in the area in the mid-1850s, and a post office operated there from 1853 to 1855. After the Civil War Calhoun disappeared, and no trace remains.

Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Calhoun, TX (Gregg County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calhoun-tx-gregg-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994
September 5, 2019

Loading