Calina, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Calina (Callina) is on Farm Road 936 four miles west of Coolidge in northern Limestone County. It was established in the early 1890s, and by 1897 its population was estimated at fifty. A post office opened at Calina in 1898 with Jesse Q. Rich as postmaster. The community became the focus of a common-school district in 1904. The Calina post office was discontinued in 1906, and mail for the community was sent to Coolidge. Calina had fifty residents and two businesses in the early 1940s, but by 1945 its population was reported as twenty-five. In 1949 the Calina school was consolidated with the Coolidge Independent School District. By the 1980s little remained in the area.

John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986). Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Calina, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calina-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Calina
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378084
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Limestone County
Associated Names

Callina

Wood Valley

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.75655260°
  • Longitude: -96.69998900°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2009