Callaghan, TX


By: Karen Gratke

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Callaghan (Callahan) was established in 1881 as a cattle shipping point on the International and Great Northern Railroad in Webb County. The settlement was named for Charles Callaghan of the Callaghan Ranch. A post office operated there under the name Callahan in 1880–81. The Callaghan Ranch was still operating in the 1980s, but by that time the community was gone.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Gratke, “Callaghan, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/callaghan-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Callaghan
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Webb County
Associated Names

-Ranch

Callahan

Shea

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 27.87667610°
  • Longitude: -99.40059160°