Callahan, TX (DeWitt County)


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 5, 2020


Callahan, an early school community five miles east of Yorktown in western DeWitt County, was organized as a school district in 1880. The area was predominantly settled by German immigrants. The school, important in the county's development because of its relatively early establishment as a focus of the surrounding rural area, operated until 1945, when its students were transferred to the Ratcliff School and to Yorktown.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Callahan, TX (DeWitt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/callahan-tx-dewitt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 5, 2020

Place
Callahan
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County