Callis, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Callis, also known as Oak Grove, was twenty-five miles northeast of McKinney in northeastern Collin County. A post office operated there from 1891 through 1904. By 1900 the community had a population of fifty, two stores, a cotton gin, a church, and a school. Its population stood at twenty-five by the mid-1940s, the last time population statistics were reported.

Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Callis, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/callis-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Callis
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Associated Names

Oak Grove

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.33856600°
  • Longitude: -96.34509900°