Calvary, TX (Wood County)

By: Rachel Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Calvary is on Farm Road 779 three miles northeast of Golden in southwestern Wood County. Some reports state that a Calvary community existed as early as 1888. By 1896 a four-teacher school called Bell Founte (also spelled Bellefont and Bell Font) was located in that area and had 120 students; ten years later its enrollment had dropped to eighty-five. In the 1930s the Bell Font school district had fifty-nine students in nine grades. Though the community was not indicated on the 1936 county highway map, newspaper accounts from that time refer to a community named Bellfonte and a "Calvery" Church. By 1959 the community was called Calvary and was the site of Calvary Church and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1988 the settlement had one business.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rachel Jenkins, “Calvary, TX (Wood County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calvary-tx-wood-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading