Calvert, Waco and Brazos Valley Railroad


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


The Calvert, Waco and Brazos Valley Railroad Company was chartered on June 28, 1899. The line was initially projected to extend from the International-Great Northern Railroad at Lewis Switch to Waco. Members of the first board of directors were George J. Gould of Lakewood, New Jersey; Frank J. Gould of Irvington, New York; Leroy Trice, Nathan A. Steadman, George L. Noble, Alfred R. Howard, and William L. Maury, all from Anderson County, Texas; and Leonidas H. Parish and John T. Garrett, both from Robertson County, Texas. The initial capital was $75,000, and the business office was in Calvert in Robertson County. By the end of 1900 the company had completed sixty-six miles between Bryan and Marlin and a branch from Calvert Junction to Calvert. In that year the charter was amended twice, ultimately raising capitalization to $2,830,000 and changing the projected route to run from Spring, just north of Houston, to Fort Worth. On February 12, 1901, the legislature authorized the International and Great Northern to acquire the Calvert, Waco and Brazos Valley. The two lines merged on May 1. The International and Great Northern completed the line between Spring and Fort Worth in 1902.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Calvert, Waco and Brazos Valley Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/calvert-waco-and-brazos-valley-railroad.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Calvert Junction
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379496
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Robertson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.94213250°
  • Longitude: -96.73747640°