The Calvit-Herndon Plantation, on the site of present Clute in southeastern Brazoria County, was a sugar plantation with a frame residence, office, and brick sugar house located on land purchased from the Wharton family. It was called Evergreen by its original owner, Alexander Calvit, and known as Herndon Plantation when Calvit's only daughter inherited it and married John Hunter Herndon. Herndon raised Arabian horses and had large herds of cattle, which, according to one source, were later purchased by Abel Head (Shanghai) Pierce. By 1860 Herndon was one of the wealthiest men in the county; he had a summer house at Velasco, real property valued at $1,605,000, personal property estimated at $106,050, and forty slaves. Little is known about the plantation after the Civil War, but it is likely that its operations ceased with the decline of the plantation economy.