Camey Spur, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camey Spur (Camey) was on State Highway 121 sixteen miles southeast of Denton in southeastern Denton County. It was established about 1852 and named for Capt. William McKamy. For a time it served as a spur on the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway. A post office operated in Camey Spur from 1913 through 1925. In 1914 the community had a cotton gin, two general stores, and a population of thirty. It had two businesses and a population of forty-seven during the 1930s and 1940s, after which no population statistics were available.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Camey Spur, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camey-spur-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Camey
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378087
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Associated Names

-Spur

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.08345370°
  • Longitude: -96.85611330°