Camp Allison, TX


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Allison, on the North Llano River in southeastern Sutton County, was named for George S. Allison, who began grazing cattle on the free range of the area in 1885 and later bought land from which he contributed a free campsite and public park. The one-store supply point was granted a post office in 1927. In 1933 its population was estimated at twenty-five. That number remained steady until 1949, when the Texas Almanac deleted Camp Allison from its list of towns. The community's post office seems to have closed during the 1940s as well.

Sutton County Historical Society, Sutton County (Sonora, Texas, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Allison, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-allison-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Camp Allison
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353607
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Sutton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.48213240°
  • Longitude: -100.14980340°