Camp Blake

By: Julia Cauble Smith

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Blake was established as a temporary federal military installation on the Devils River in southeastern Val Verde County soon after the Mexican War. The camp was located on the road from San Antonio to El Paso. The camp was named for Lt. Jacob E. Blake, a topographical engineer who fought in the battle of Palo Alto.

Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985).

Time Periods:

  • Antebellum Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Julia Cauble Smith, “Camp Blake,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 05, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-blake.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading