Camp Cazneau

By: Art Leatherwood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: December 1, 1994

Two camps seem to have been named Camp Cazneau. The first may have been on a site on Onion Creek just southeast of Austin and near the site of Bergstrom Air Force Base in southeast Travis County. It was occupied by the First Infantry Regiment on March 5, 1840, as they moved from Camp Caldwell to San Antonio. The second Camp Cazneau was 2½ miles east of Round Rock on the south bank of Brushy Creek at the old Double File Crossing, below the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad bridge. It was used by George W. Bonnell when he led the Travis Guards and Rifles in expeditions against the Comanche Indians in May and June 1840. The camp also served as the final assembly point for the Texan Santa Fe expedition in June 1841. The school children of Williamson County erected a monument there in 1925. This site was adjacent to Kenney's Fort. It may have also been the site of the regular-army Camp Caldwell, 1839–40. The camps were probably named for William L. Cazneau, a merchant, soldier, and commissary general of the Republic of Texas.

H. Bailey Carroll, The Texan Santa Fe Trail (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1951). Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
Time Periods:
  • Republic of Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Leatherwood, “Camp Cazneau,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994