Camp Chambers, a regular army post near the site of present Marlin in Falls County, was established in May or June of 1840. The camp was on the east bank of the Brazos River, two miles north of the State Highway 7 crossing. It was first garrisoned by Capt. John Holiday's Company D, First Infantry regiment. Holiday's company joined Col. William Gordon Cooke's Military Road expedition in September, however, and was replaced in November by a detachment under Capt. Adam Clendenin. This detachment was moved to Waco in December but returned to Camp Chambers in January 1841; there the men remained until February or March, when they were withdrawn to Austin for discharge.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
- Republic of Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Thomas W. Cutrer, “Camp Chambers (Falls County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-chambers.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.