Camp Clark, on the south side of the San Marcos River seven miles from San Marcos in Guadalupe County, was one of the instruction camps founded by Governor Edward Clark in 1861. The Fourth Texas Infantry was mobilized there. Several companies were organized at Camp Clark, where the men were trained for several months before going to active duty in the Civil War. The Fourth Texas became part of Hood's Texas Brigade. In 1862 Camp Clark served as a training camp for Col. Peter C. Woods's Thirty-sixth Texas Cavalry, which was composed mostly of Hays County men. Its officers were Woods, Maj. W. O. Hutchinson, and captains James G. Storey, J. L. Holes, R. Blair, L. C. Schrum, J. K. Stevens, John Crook, and Eugene Millet. The regiment, called the Thirty-second Texas Cavalry by its members, served in the Red River campaign of 1864. In 1966 a large cotton farm was on the site, and no signs of a camp remained.