Camp Corpus Christi


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Corpus Christi, at Corpus Christi, was established in November 1850, when Lt. Col. J. J. Abercrombie rented quarters there for two companies of the Fifth Infantry. On August 8, 1851, Maj. G. R. Paul moved his troops thirty miles inland from Corpus Christi to a location that was healthful but had bad water and no permanent building material. On November 26, 1851, the camp was manned by two companies of the Seventh Infantry, a total of eighty-five men. Corpus Christi became headquarters under Persifor F. Smith in 1852 and remained such until 1855, when headquarters were moved back to San Antonio.

Arrie Barrett, Federal Military Outposts in Texas, 1845–1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Corpus Christi,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-corpus-christi.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994