Camp Crockett


By: Thomas W. Cutrer

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994

Updated: July 13, 2017


Camp Crockett, named for Alamo defender David Crockett, became the main encampment and headquarters of the Army of the Republic of Texas following its removal from Camp Bowie in mid-June 1837. Camp Crockett was somewhere in central Jackson County, probably on the Navidad River near Camp Bowie and just to the south or southwest of the site of present Edna. The camp was commanded by Col. H. R. A. Wiggington, Second Regiment, Permanent Volunteers, from its establishment until it was abandoned in July or August, when the troops were transferred to Camp Chambers.

Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).

Time Periods:
  • Texas Revolution
  • Republic of Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Thomas W. Cutrer, “Camp Crockett,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-crockett.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994
July 13, 2017