Camp Cureton


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Camp Cureton was established on March 17, 1862, where the Gainesville-Fort Belknap road crossed the West Fork of the Trinity River southeast of Archer City. It was one of a number of posts set up by the Confederate Army to restrict Indian incursions. The camp was manned by half the men of the Frontier Regiment company of Capt. J. J. (Jack) Cureton, for whom it was named. It had long buildings for the rangers and a rock-fence corral for the horses. The camp was closed by March 1864, when the regiment was concentrated at Fort Belknap. All that remained in 1990 was the corner rocks and the base of a chimney. In 1963 a memorial to Camp Cureton was placed on the Archer County Courthouse lawn in Archer City.

J. Evetts Haley, Charles Goodnight (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1949). William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928). J. Marvin Hunter, Trail Drivers of Texas (2 vols., San Antonio: Jackson Printing, 1920, 1923; 4th ed., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1985). Jack Loftin, Trails Through Archer (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1979).

Time Periods:
  • Civil War

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Cureton,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-cureton.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: