Camp Drum, a United States military post at Zapata on the Rio Grande, was established in 1852 and abandoned the same year. About the time of its establishment, C. H. Tyler, of the Second United States Dragoons, arrived with orders to establish a camp and call it Camp Bugle. The officer of the Fourth United States Artillery, already on the site, secured an order from another authority to use the name Camp Drum. The abandonment may have been caused by local friction, the reduced fear of border disturbances, or the westward movement of the frontier.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Antebellum Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Camp Drum,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-drum.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.