Camp Felder, a Confederate camp for Union prisoners, was located near Chappell Hill in Washington County. It was named for Gabriel Felder, owner of the Brazos River bottomland where the camp was set up. Previously the site had been a Methodist campground. In September 1864 Union prisoners of war who had been transferred from Camp Groce to a camp in the Bellville vicinity were moved to Camp Felder to avoid a fever epidemic. Col. Clayton C. Gillespie was commander. The camp was on low ground at the foot of the hill; a Confederate cavalry guard and its horses stayed in sheds on the hill above. Apparently prisoners suffered a high mortality rate at Camp Felder and were returned to Camp Groce.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Civil War
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Carole E. Christian, “Camp Felder,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-felder.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.