Camp Grierson's Spring was between the head of the main Concho River and the Pecos Crossing, thirty miles east of the Pecos River and eight miles southwest of the site of Best in Reagan County. Lt. Mason Maxon of the Tenth United States Cavalry found the spring, which is at the head of a branch of Live Oak Creek, in the winter of 1877–78. It was named for Col. Benjamin H. Grierson, who commanded the Tenth Cavalry, Fort Concho, and the district of the Pecos.
The spring was due south of Centralia Station and the overland stage route, on a direct line midway between forts Concho and Stockton. In May and June of 1878 soldiers opened a military wagon road between the two posts, via Grierson's Spring. At about the same time, Camp Grierson's Spring was established as an subpost of Fort Concho, and another road was extended to the Horsehead Crossing of the Pecos. From the spring, detachments of the Sixteenth, Twenty-fourth, and Twenty-fifth Infantry and the Tenth Cavalry explored and scouted the surrounding country and guarded freight trains and travelers. The military telegraph line from San Antonio and Fort Concho also was routed through Camp Grierson's Spring to forts Stockton and Davis. Stone buildings at the camp included a corral and stable, a two-room guardhouse, a two-room officers' quarters, quarters for one company of infantry, a grain storehouse, a kitchen and mess room, and a telegraph office. After the close of the Victorio campaign in the summer of 1880, the subpost at Grierson's Spring was irregularly garrisoned. It was permanently abandoned at the end of September 1882. Today only rock foundations remain.