Camp Joseph E. Johnston, a temporary federal outpost on the south side of the North Concho River in northwestern Tom Green County, was named for Joseph E. Johnston, who in 1849 had commanded an army topographic party in surveying the road between San Antonio and El Paso. Five companies of the Eighth United States Infantry, a total of 284 persons, including families and servants of officers, garrisoned the camp between March 15 and November 18, 1852, under command of General J. Garland.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Arrie Barrett, Federal Military Outposts in Texas, 1845–1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985).
- Antebellum Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Dorman H. Winfrey, “Camp Joseph E. Johnston,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 20, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-joseph-e-johnston.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.