Camp Kenney


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Kenney, at the head of Gonzales Creek in southern Stephens County, was a temporary patrolling post of the Frontier Battalion. Following procedures similar to those used by former frontier forces, patrolling squads operated from the camp after October 1874. They went out to scout at irregular intervals, but the Indians quickly learned how to evade the soldiers and sweep in behind them to raid the settlements. Scouting parties had the pack animals with them, making it impossible for those remaining in camp to follow the raiders. The camp probably operated only until September 1875, after which no Indian depredations were reported on that frontier.

Loy W. Hartsfield, A History of Stephens County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
Time Periods:
  • Reconstruction

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Kenney,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-kenney.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994