The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Camp Kingsville

Art Leatherwood General Entry

Camp Kingsville, at the Kingsville Fairgrounds, was established in September 1915. It was the headquarters of a battalion of the Twenty-sixth Infantry and the operational base for companies K, L, and M, commanded by Lt. Joseph D. Patch, who became a major general in World War II. The camp operated during the Mexican border troubles and was detailed to defend the Armstrong, Kenedy, and King ranches (see ARMSTRONG, JOHN BARCLAY; KENEDY, MIFFLIN; KING RANCH), as well as the rail line between San Antonio and Norias. A Texas historical marker, dedicated to Patch, was placed at Santa Gertrudis Avenue and Texas Highway 141 in Kingsville on February 1, 1971.

Kleberg County Historical Commission, Kleberg County, Texas (Austin: Hart Graphics, 1979).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Leatherwood, “Camp Kingsville,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-kingsville.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Loading