Little Berry Camp, Texas legislator, was born in Georgia on March 4, 1806, according to the engraving on his tombstone. He was the son of William and Sara Elizabeth (Reeves) Camp. As a young man in Georgia, L. B. Camp served as the state representative for Randolph County where he supported the charter for the state's first railroad in 1834. He served in the Creek War and fought at the battles of Chickasawhatchee Swamp and Ichawaynochaway. L. B. Camp married Elizabeth Stephenson in 1832; the couple had six children before Elizabeth's death in the early 1840s.
In 1839 Camp and his family moved to Texas, settling in Gilead—later called Point Pleasant—in an area of Upshur County that would later be part of Gregg County. Camp was elected to the Fourth Texas Legislature from Upshur County in 1851. During his second term Camp married Nancy Phillips of Alabama; the couple had ten children, six of whom survived to adulthood. In 1856 the family moved to western Texas where L. B. Camp was elected to the Eighth Texas Legislature, this time from the Atascosa and Bexar district. In 1861 Camp served as a delegate to the Secession Convention, but he, along with James Webb Throckmorton, was one of only eight delegates to vote against secession. Little Berry Camp, reportedly a friend of Sam Houston, followed the governor's example and chose exile. In 1861 he moved from Atascosa to a farm near St. Mary's of Aransas in Refugio County. He remained a Unionist throughout the Civil War.
Having never taken an oath against the United States, L. B. Camp was in a position to immediately regain his political influence following the war. He was elected representative from Refugio to the Twelfth Texas Legislature and served from 1870 to 1873. He was instrumental in having the county seat moved from the town of Refugio to his hometown of St. Mary's of Aransas, although the change did not last long. Camp was also a health officer for the county during the yellow fever scare of 1867–1868. He maintained a farm in San Patricio until his death on August 24, 1880. He was buried in Fairview Cemetery at Floresville in Wilson County.