Camp Montel, at the head of Seco Creek in Bandera County, was established by James M. Norris in March 1862 as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. The post was manned by rangers under Charles DeMontel until the consolidation of the Frontier Regiment in March 1864. In 1870 DeMontel, with a large surveying party, located another Camp Montel on the Nueces River in northern Uvalde County. At this site the town of Montell was later established. In 1880 and 1881 Company G of the First Texas Volunteer Cavalry was organized and named the Montell Guards. The company, consisting of thirty-seven men and an ordnance store, was stationed at Montell. A historical marker for Camp Montel is at the Bandera County Courthouse.