Camp Nowlin


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Nowlin was a temporary military outpost near the Little Wichita River and the site of present Archer City in Archer County. It was established under the direction of Capt. John H. Brown on August 8, 1859, and served as a post for soldiers whose primary duties included escorting Indians to and from the Brazos Indian Reservation and Indian Territory. The military outpost only lasted for three weeks, as a series of illnesses forced Brown to close the camp on August 21.

William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).
Time Periods:
  • Antebellum Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Camp Nowlin,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-nowlin.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994