Camp Nueces (Uvalde County)

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 28, 2020


Camp Nueces, at the San Antonio-Eagle Pass road crossing of the Nueces River in southwestern Uvalde County, was established by James M. Norris in April 1862, as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. Manned by a company under Capt. John J. Dix, Jr., the camp sent out scouts on the frontier, probably until consolidation of the regiment in March 1864.

William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Nueces (Uvalde County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-nueces.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 28, 2020

Loading