Camp Rabb


By: W. C. Holden

Revised by: William V. Scott

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 26, 2022


Camp Rabb was at the crossing of the road from San Antonio to Eagle Pass and Elm Creek, in Bexar Territory, later northeastern Maverick County. Camp Rabb was situated fifteen miles northeast of Eagle Pass and was one of eighteen Confederate outposts placed a day's ride apart, from the Red River to the Rio Grande, to prevent American Indian attacks and Federal invasion. It was established by James M. Norris on April 7, 1862, as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. Named for company commander Capt. Thomas Rabb, the camp guarded the road and a ford on the Cotton Road, used as a major Southern supply line through the frontier. Captain Rabb also operated out of Rio Grande Station or Fort Duncan, near Eagle Pass. Camp Rabb was used until the consolidation of the Frontier Regiment at Fort Belknap in March 1864.

Historical Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. William Curry Holden, Frontier Problems and Movements in West Texas, 1846–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1928).

Categories:
  • Military
Time Periods:
  • Civil War
Places:
  • South Texas
  • South and Border
  • Southwest Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

W. C. Holden Revised by William V. Scott, “Camp Rabb,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-rabb.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 26, 2022

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: