Camp Salado


By: Art Leatherwood

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Camp Salado was the campground occupied by the volunteers under Capt. John Coffee (Jack) Hays during the battle of Salado Creek on September 18, 1842. The camp is believed to have been adjacent to the battlefield on Salado Creek, six miles northeast of San Antonio within the bounds of present Fort Sam Houston.

Gerald S. Pierce, Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts, and Military Towns of the Republic of Texas (Austin: Encino, 1969).
Time Periods:
  • Republic of Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Leatherwood, “Camp Salado,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-salado.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994