Camp Switch, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Camp Switch, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad between Kilgore and White Oak in central Gregg County, was established before 1880. The small settlement was originally known as Camp or Camps, but the name was changed to Camps Switch for the nearby railroad siding. In 1884 Camps was listed as a station on the Texas and Pacific. In 1949 it had one business and a population of 25. In the mid-1960s the population reached 150, but in 1990 and again in 2000 it was 70.

Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Camp Switch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-switch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading