Camp Terrett


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Terrett, also known as Fort Terrett, on the banks of the North Llano River in eastern Sutton County, was established on February 2, 1852, by Lt. Col. Henry Bainbridge. It was named for Lt. John Terrett, who was killed in the battle of Monterrey in 1846. The camp was established to protect the settlements along the San Antonio Road from Comanches. It was abandoned by federal troops on February 26, 1854. The state of Texas erected a marker in 1936 at the site, twenty-six miles from Junction off U.S. Highway 290W. The old fort buildings are headquarters of the Noel ranch.

Arrie Barrett, Federal Military Outposts in Texas, 1845–1861 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1927). Herbert M. Hart, Tour Guide to Old Western Forts (Boulder, Colorado: Pruett, 1980). Joseph Carroll McConnell, West Texas Frontier (Vol. 1, Jacksboro, Texas, 1933; Vol. 2, Palo Pinto, Texas, 1939). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938).
Time Periods:
  • Antebellum Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Terrett,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-terrett.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994