Camp Verde

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 26, 2017


A second Camp Verde, two miles below old Camp Verde in Kerr County, was established on March 31, 1862, by James N. Norris as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. It was manned by members of Charles S. DeMontel’s company and served as a frontier outpost, probably until the consolidation of the regiment in March 1864.

William Curry Holden, "Frontier Defense in Texas during the Civil War," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 4 (1928).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Camp Verde,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 29, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-verde-QCC39.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 26, 2017

Loading