Camp Wichita


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Wichita was a military post near the site of present Buffalo Springs in southeastern Clay County. It may have been little more than a way station for couriers traveling between Fort Richardson and Red River Station. It was used intermittently by the Sixth United States Cavalry from 1868 to 1873.

William Charles Taylor, A History of Clay County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
Time Periods:
  • Reconstruction

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Camp Wichita,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-wichita.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994