Camp Worth, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Camp Worth was on Arenosa Creek and a country road, ten miles northwest of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. It was founded as a timber camp of the Frost Lumber Industries and was named for the lumber mills manager, Worth Whited. A tram line was built to the site in the 1920s or 1930s, and in 1940 the community had a church, scattered dwellings, and a school. By the 1980s no buildings remained on the site, though it was still listed on state highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Camp Worth, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/camp-worth-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Camp Worth
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034854
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Augustine County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.61212410°
  • Longitude: -94.29242310°