Campbell Creek (Armstrong County)


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Campbell Creek rises south of the JA Ranch headquarters in southern Armstrong County (at 34°48' N, 101°12' W) and runs southwest for 5½ miles through sloping loamy plains of mesquite brush to its mouth, on the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River just across the county line in northern Briscoe County (at 34°44' N, 101°16' W). The creek was named for the brothers W. A. (Jud), T. J. (Jeff), and L. M. Campbell, who were outstanding JA employees during the ranch's early years. One of the JA's twelve winter camps was located near the mouth of Campbell Creek.

Armstrong County Historical Association, A Collection of Memories: A History of Armstrong County, 1876–1965 (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1965). Harley True Burton, A History of the JA Ranch (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1928; rpt., New York: Argonaut, 1966).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Campbell Creek (Armstrong County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/campbell-creek-armstrong-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994