Campground Trace


By: Howard N. Martin

Type: General Entry

Published: June 1, 1995

Updated: September 11, 2019


The Campground Trace was an eighteen-mile-long trail connecting the Middle Coushatta Village (Long King's Village) with a popular Indian camping area in eastern Polk County, Texas. From Long King's Village this trail crossed Long King Creek north of the site of present Goodrich, extended eastward across what is now central Polk County, crossed Menard Creek, and ended at the junction of Big Sandy Creek and Bear Creek, south of the present Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation. On Stephen F. Austin's Memorandum for a Map of Texas, 1827, this location is shown as the site of an abandoned Alabama village. Also, the surveyor Samuel C. Hirams wrote in the field notes for his survey of land for William Nash that he began the survey at the old Indian campground. This camping site was apparently well known among the Alabama and Coushatta Indian tribes, and members of these two groups frequently used it during their hunting trips in the Big Thicket of East Texas.

Howard N. Martin, "Polk County Indians: Alabamas, Coushattas, Pakana Muskogees," East Texas Historical Journal 17 (1979).

Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Native American
  • Trails and Traces

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Howard N. Martin, “Campground Trace,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/campground-trace.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

June 1, 1995
September 11, 2019