Canaan Switch, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Canaan Switch was a flag station on the Houston and Texas Central Railway six miles south of Mexia in Limestone County. Its early residents were former slaves from nearby plantations. In 1888 a post office called Dump was briefly established at Canaan Switch with Zachariah H. Williams as postmaster. After the office was discontinued, mail for the community was sent to Groesbeck. The community's population was given as ten in 1889. Little remained in the area by the 1940s.

Walter F. Cotton, History of Negroes of Limestone County from 1860 to 1939 (Mexia, Texas: Chatman and Merriwether, 1939). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Canaan Switch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/canaan-switch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Canaan
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353714
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Limestone County
Associated Names

-Switch

Dump

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.59072510°
  • Longitude: -96.51886970°