Candlish, TX


By: Grace Bauer

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Candlish was on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and U.S. Highway 59, eight miles northeast of Beeville in eastern Bee County. It included three pioneer communities: Robinson's, settled by J. W. and J. N. Robinson and later called Medio Hill, where Michael Seeligson became the first postmaster in Bee County in 1857; Cummingsville, later Blanco, where W. D. H. Saunders operated a store at the confluence of Talpacate and Poesta creeks; and Upper Medio, where R. E. Nutt settled in 1857 and R. A. Ezell, a gristmill operator, in 1872. Around 1907, when the railroad was built through the area, William J. Candlish laid out a townsite just north of the rail line. A local post office opened in 1907 but closed in 1930. The town was gone by the 1950s. East of Candlish, on Blanco Creek, one of the nation's richest fossil beds was discovered in 1939.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Grace Bauer, “Candlish, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/candlish-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Candlish
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bee County
Associated Names

Candish

Blanco

Cummingsville

Medio Hill 2

Robinson's

Upper Medio

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.45622800°
  • Longitude: -97.69326400°