Caney Creek (Grimes County)

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994

Caney Creek rises three miles southeast of Anderson in south central Grimes County (at 30°27' N, 95°58' W) and runs southeast for seventeen miles through mostly open country to its mouth on Lake Creek, in western Montgomery County (at 30°21' N, 95°45' W). It crosses gently sloping to nearly level terrain surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support stands of water oak, elm, pecan, loblolly pine, and shortleaf pine. On February 15–16, 1687, the French explorer René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, crossed the creek traveling north toward the Trinity River on one of his many forays into the Texas interior in search of the Mississippi River. Settlement on the prairie near the upper creek began in the mid-1820s when Jesse Grimes, Franklin Greenwood, Margaret McIntire, and her sons William and Robert established Grimes Prairie, one of the first settlements in Grimes County.

E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Caney Creek (Grimes County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994